About NFB Space School
NFB Space School is an educational interactive production that brings the wonders of the universe into your classroom. You and your students have the opportunity to observe and connect with the monumental six-month mission of Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield, the first Canadian commander of the International Space Station (ISS). Specifically designed to meet interdisciplinary, cross-Canada curricular objectives for students aged 11-15, NFB Space School offers unprecedented access to Hadfield along with useful classroom resources developed by Canadian Educators. NFB Space School introduces your students to the endless fascination of space exploration, touching on major subject areas through its exclusive online interactive learning modules, game play and additional resources for educators.
Launching in April 2013, educators and students will have access to the Leadership and Mission modules, featuring exclusive footage of Hadfield’s journey to becoming an astronaut and preparing for his most recent mission. The site will continue to introduce new content, resources, and visual material directly linked to additional subject areas, providing a rich cross-disciplinary learning experience. Throughout summer and fall 2013, new modules on subjects including astronomy, history, health and physical education and astrobiology will be introduced.
While using NFB Space School, take some time to explore the various ways you can contextualize content for your classroom through the lesson plans and interactive features, via the TEACH IT! portal. By September 2013, each module will be accompanied by an educator’s guide, which will be available through the NFB’s subscription-based educational streaming service, CAMPUS. Be sure to join the NFB Education newsletter to receive updates on the releases of new modules and educators guides.
If you don’t have access to CAMPUS through an individual, school, school board or ministry license, learn how to gain access here (hyperlink to CAMPUS pitch page). If you think you may have access to CAMPUS but you’re not sure how to get set up, get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the mission today!
Visit the NFB Space School LIVE modules today!
Stay tuned for our first Educator’s Guide to accompany the LEADERSHIP module!
(Available September 2013 with your CAMPUS subscription)
Stay tuned to NFB Space School
Subscribe to the NFB Educational Newsletter to be notified about new content, resources for the classroom, workshops and coming events.
Blast your class into space!
- Oct. 16, 2013, 1:30 p.m.
- Get front-row seats to Chris Hadfield’s historic mission as the first Canadian Commander of the International Space Station (ISS) and his subsequent return to Earth! The National Film Board of Canada (NFB) and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) are offering students the chance to join Commander Hadfield in an exciting and illuminating live conversation this fall. Hadfield will blast into your classroom in real time to talk with your students about his journey to becoming an astronaut, his experiences aboard the ISS, and to answer any mind-boggling outer-space questions!
About NFB Education
NFB Education refers to the educational productions and services offered by the National Film Board of Canada, a public film producer and distributor founded in 1939. The NFB has earned the trust of generations of educators and teachers, and its productions are now viewed over 14 million times every year in educational settings.Our trusted education team works directly with educators to develop tools and resources to enhance classroom learning. We develop and deliver media workshops, web-based learning experiences and produce educator’s guides required to effectively teach through and about media in the classroom. For more information about what NFB Education is up to across Canada, visit our site, sign up for our newsletter and visit our Blog.
Enjoying NFB Space School and want to watch related films?
AVAILABLE ON CAMPUS
- Cosmic Zoom (also available for purchase via DTO)
- Discover Science Series – 26 Episode Series (also available for purchase via DTO)
- Hubert Reeves: Star Teller
- Satellites of the Sun
- Science, Please! – Part 1
- Science, Please! – Part 2
- Shadow Chasers (also available for purchase via DTO)
- Universe (also available for purchase via DTO)